1. Listening to a violin solo of “O Holy Night,” seeing my friend, Mark, in a tux, and hearing Halie play “In the Deep Midwinter” on her grand piano – all at a party for AMICA, my player-piano group.
2. Camel cookies with Jenny and Jerry. Who could resist a two-hump camel sugar cookie with frosting? Not me!
3. News that Stolen Children is nominated for the 2011 Mark Twain Award.
4. A white elephant gift exchange where I ended up with a stuffed penguin that plays the saxophone.
5. Updates from old friends. I use e-mail for most correspondence, but I still love to receive Christmas cards and newsletters.
6. A quiet evening with both Lucy and Molly on my lap, watching the deer outside.